The citizens of the Greater Mankato Area are invited to participate in the development of a Compassionate Community for End of Life Care. This is a community driven approach in partnership with health and other service professionals that supports living well until the very end of life. We all have a role to play in attending to the diverse set of needs faced in our shared journey of aging, loss, dying, caring, death and bereavement. Meet the Team>>
Current Initiative / Next Steps:
- Phase I Complete: (January 2017 – July 2017) The assessment of interviews has determined the feasibility of the project. We can now move forward with Phase II. Read the "Deva Nation Community Needs/Asset Assessment Report">> (Greater Mankato Area Interview Report).
- Phase II: (November 2017 – April 2018) Deva Nation is convening key community leaders and members for a series of focus groups to further assess current community challenges and assets. Best practices and policies designed and delivered by the community will go forward as part of the Greater Mankato Community Charter for Compassionate End of Life Care.
- Phase III: (May 2018 – May 2019) Phase III will focus on the implementation of the Community Charter. We will develop a community-wide service directory, hire a community developer/network navigator, create community education opportunities and continue the public conversation and awareness building activities.
Please email Mary Ann Boe (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like contribute your experience, ideas or resources for our compassionate community movement to support neighbors in need. Thank you!
Deva Nation Goals
- Directed by the community and in partnership with health/service professionals, Deva Nation will create a design for social action that can build capacity for the community to provide practical non-medical care, comfort, and support that actively involves citizens in their own end of life concerns.
- Deva Nation will work to link and leverage existing resources, organizations, and institutions in a unified effort to give people the support and control needed to achieve well-being to the end of life.
- Through wide-spread community efforts, the naturally occurring networks of care that often form around death, dying, loss and care will be encouraged, supported and expanded. Together we will deepen the quality and extent to which a community may look after its own members in the art of living and dying well.
Deva Nation is a charitable organization under the fiscal agency of the Minnesota River Area Agency on Aging,
a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization. We are grateful for this fiscal agency support and for our initial funding support
from the Mankato Area Foundation.